Monday, March 2, 2009

Theo's Chocolate Tour


Photo from Theo Chocolate website.

A couple of week's ago, I went on a chocolate tour in Fremont.  Yes!  There is a local chocolate "maker" in Seattle.  I was expecting Wally Wonka chocolate tour but it was better!
Theo, which is a kind of name for the tree that produces the chocolate pods. So clever!  
This is a local company that "makes" from scratch with roasting beans to final packaged product. I didn't realize that there is so few actual "makers".  Most are "melters" such as Sees and other big names bars.  This is only company that is fair trade and organic. I guess the chocolate bean harvesting industry uses a lot of child labor.  
They have amazing flavors.  One of my favorite was Bread and Chocolate which as the salty sweet flavors, along with a nice yeasty, butter touch.  Another one was their mint truffles. They actually infuse fresh mint with the cream and add it to the chocolate vs. adding just a flavoring.  Great idea!  There is Coconut curry, not one of my favorites, Fennel, Almond, and Fig, Coffee, Chai Tea, and so much more. They also have great caramels. I tried the chipotle salted one. MMMM....
The tour is a must!  I'll go again because you get to sample so much chocolate.  Tour is 5 bucks. I also bought home a ton!
Be warned...you do have to wear a hair net but a small price to pay to sample chocolate.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...