Monday, December 6, 2010

Scarpetta in NYC

Here is a little more from the NYC trip...Scarpetta


On our last night, we went to Scarpetta which is the home of the $24.00 Spaghetti.  It is own by uber chef and restaurateur: Scott Conant.  He has many uber restaurants from NYC to Las Vegas.  You might have seen him as Top Chef judge or food network.


On the show "The Best I Ever Ate", Ted Allen says that this is the best sauced item he has ever had.  The way it was described on the show was, freshly made pasta, freshly tomatoes made sauce, and yadi, yadi, yada.


So the anticipation was high!  Had to get this meal in before leaving back to Seattle.  So, I met my friend Heather and my foodie sister in tow, we went.  


All three of us ordered the spaghetti.  If it was the best, we were NOT going to share...


Well...what can I say.  It didn't quite live up to the hype.  It was good.  The fresh pasta was amazing but the sauce had too much cheese and the tomatoes were not that flavorful.  The sauce was flat for all of us.  I like my spaghetti with very vibrant flavors of tomatoes, like the sauce you get on a Maragreita pizza, very fresh, sweet, tart, and very tomatoey.  


The restaurant was beautiful though.  See and be seen.  The kind of place where taking photos of food made you feel like you wouldn't belong.  


I did take some pics but turned off the flash so it wouldn't interrupt the other diners, and the pics turned out blurry.  The only pic that did get a flash in was this Polenta with Truffled Mushroom dish that Soung got.  


The famous spaghetti.  Perhaps the photo serves it well as the flavors were blurry to me.


Here is a photo is from their website so you can see the true dish.




Polenta with Truffled Mushrooms.  I wish I had ordered this.  Soung gave me a bite but ate it mostly herself.  :)


I also had a beet salad but it's too blurry to post.


Banana Budino with Pecan Gelato and Oat Tulle. This dessert was amazing and lived beyond my expectations.  I hope to create and execute desserts like this!

This place does have amazing food and experience to be had.   The spaghetti just didn't meet expectations but otherwise, their food and service is perfection.  

If you are in NYC or Las Vegas, do try this place.  Scott is a genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...