Thursday, September 3, 2009

Kogi

The LA Korean Taco Truck
It wasn't all that...the much hyped and talked about Korean taco truck was good, but can't say it was great. Maybe I'm being a bit snobby or the meat versions are great but the tofu and vegetarian flair was okay.
We ordered and shared the following:

Kimchee Quesadilla: Sounds like a good idea but lot of cheddar cheese and kim chee is not a pleasant combo. As a kid my mom used to make fried rice and top it with a slice of "american" cheese and that was a good combo, but this was too much gooeyness with a salty kimchee and some kind of pepper sauce.
Tofu Taco: Tofu was too soft and not fried. I think it a was grilled but it was just mushy with the sauces and the greens were a bit to salty for me. The homemade corn tortilla was great though.
Tofu Burriot: Same filling with as the taco stuff but more of it. Again, too mushy and salty...would have been good to have some rice in it.

Kalbi Taco: My cousin said this was good and flavorful.
I had my own Korean taco night last month and I like the freshness of saam like quality for the taco and I made a wasabi mayo which balanced a nice spicy creaminess that this one lacked.
The guy we talked to was really nice though and he said the Leanne Wong and the NYC expansion is not quite set in stone. I had read that the deal actually broke through and Leanne talked some smack about these guys but who knows. He said she ws recently in town and they all went out to Pizza Mozza (Mario Batali's pizza place here in LA that is next to his hotspot Osteria Mozza.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...