Sunday, August 16, 2009

August Homeless Cooking

We had a fun cookout last weekend!
John Phillips brought lots of fresh veggies that were donated so Hammed made a nice ratatoulie.
Darren made a nice pork that was like a pulled pork without the bun.
There was a nice roast chicken.
Fresh fruit. Eckhart made a fruit sauce that no one thought should be used for such fresh fruit but I got slammed for because I was the only one who vocalized it but everyone gave me the look behind Eckhart's back. :)
Anya joined us for the first time and made a nice tuna casserole.
We had a small bag of fresh figs (Oh! I got a fig tree today! I'm going to keep on my balcony) so I made this onion, thyme, and fig marmalade and served it on a crostini with crumbles of Gorgonzola. This is a treat I usually make during the holidays to serve with a cheese plate. We paired it with fresh tomato bruschetta. When we serve this on site, we usually keep the names simple and say "onion" or "tomato"? If we make it too fancy or the homeless don't know what it is, they will say no they don't want it. I remember once we cooked and served breakfast and I made fresh scones and they didn't know what a scone was so they wouldn't take it.
I also made chocolate toffee bars for dessert. This was a buttery, pecan on one, cashews one another, shortbread topped with melted milk chocolate. It was so good, the servers were grabbing all the scraps and putting in their mouths.
Sorry forgot my camera and no pictures. Next month! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...