Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie

My favorite kind of Chocolate Chip Cookie involves at least 2 different kinds of chocolate, hazelnuts, and salt.  
I'm a huge Nutella fan so I love anything that combines chocolate and hazelnut.  This was my inspiration for my cookie.  My version has big chunks of milk and semisweet chocolate, crushed hazelnuts, and topping it with some salt (preferably Fleur de sel or Kosher salt).  For chocolate, I love Guittard's chocolates.  It's so creamy, smooth, and bakes well.  A lot of the confectioner's use this chocolate as base to create their own flavors and creations.  I know Oh Chocolates uses this brand.
I also love "thick" meaty cookies, not the thin crispy one.  Thin crispy ones have their place but not for this cookie.  There is so much goodness to this cookies that you need a nice amount of dough and crusty like base for the cookie.  
I've tried various recipes from the one on the back of the yellow bag of Toll house Chocolate Chips to Thomas Keller's recipe in Ad Hoc (which is a good one), to Debbie Fields, and some more I can't think of.  I really like the recipe on the back of the Guittard bag.  I've modified the Guittard and Thomas Keller's recipe and came up with this.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!


Dry Ingredients
21/2 cups of All Purpose Flour


1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt, more for topping after baking
Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup of Butter (room temperature)
3/4 cups of Sugar
3/4 cups of Brown Sugar (packed)
2 Eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon of Vanilla
Other Ingredients
1 cup of Milk Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Bar (cut into pieces)
1 cup of Dark Chocolate Chips or Dark Chcolate Bar (cut into pieces)
1 cup of raw whole Hazelnuts
-Preheat oven to 350
-Measure and mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

-Measure and mix the butter and sugars until very light and fluff, preferably in a stand mixer or hand mixer.  Add eggs and vanilla and blend/mix again.
-Add dry mixture into the wet mixture until well combined, again with stand or hand mixer.
-Add other ingredients, one at a time to the mixture and hand mix until combined.  (I like to use the stand mixer because it smashes the raw hazelnuts a bit.)

-Spoon a little bigger than a golf size of the mixture onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.  Put into the freezer until cold, about 5 min.
-Bake 13 minutes and golden brown.
-Sprinkle Kosher Salt right after it comes out of the oven.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...