Saturday, June 26, 2010

Rhubarb Apple Bread

Drearily Sundays in Seattle are the perfect days to do some baking.  Last Sunday, I spent the day baking one of my favorite things...the apple bread.  I received some rhubarb from my friend Chia-Hui.  She grows them in her garden so I decided to add them to the apples.  During the holidays, I make this bread with cranberries so I thought the rhubarb would work nicely.
This recipe is from the Pasta & co. cookbook.  It's their Santori Apple Cake recipe.  I vary it up by using pears, cranberries, and other fruits.  I like this recipe because it's so moist and a bit gooey because of the oil and lot of fruit in the recipe. The recipe doesn't quite follow my dry/wet combining because it uses the flour last as a coating.  Enjoy!


Dry
3 cups of Sugar
1 Tbs Baking Soda
1 1/2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
1 1/4 Tsp Salt
Wet
3 Eggs
3/4 cup of Oil
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
Other
3 cups of diced Rhubarb
3 cups of peeled and sliced Apples
1 1/2 cups of chopped Walnuts
3 cups of all purpose flour


Heat oven to 325.  Combine the dry, then the wet, then mix in the dry and wet ingredients together.  Add the fruit and nuts to the bowl and stir until everything is nicely coated with the wet mixture.  Add flour 1 cup at a time until "just" combined.  Spoon into a prepared pan of your choice.  Bake for 1 hour and 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean.


Below are step by step pictures...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...