Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Weekend of Baking

What a great 3 day weekend it was!  I did a lot of baking!  It was about Chocolate Cherry Cake, Blueberry Almond Scones, Zucchini Bread, and Peach Chocolate Chip Cookies.


Friday night, had girlfriends over for some Margaritas and Mexican food.  Even made corn tortillas from scratch, but this entry is about baking so more on that on a another entry.  I did bake a Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake for dessert and also made Chocolate Dipped Cherries.  People are always dipping strawberries but I think the cherries actually make a great fruit to dip and decorate with. It is also very delish!  The cake was pretty good but I'm not as fond of the recipe, I think it needs a bit more chocolate so I'll tweak the recipe and post.






Saturday, I didn't really bake at all. It was my little bro's birthday and I had planned on baking his birthday cake but the day got the best of me and I didn't have enough time.  We did celebrated it with a theme of BBQ and Bowling.  I bought a Whole Food cake.  I know what kind of baker am I?  It was a good cake though!


Sunday, I made some Blueberry Almond Scone for my friend Samad because he really like almonds.  The texture of the scone came out great but I think it needed a little bit more almonds and almond extract.  I didn't add it to my baking that day but included that in the recipe below.  This recipe is a modified recipe from the Grand Central Baking Book.  I think the dry ratio from this book is really superb but I tweaked the wet ratio and used WW flour.  I used to make scones everyday when I worked at Both Ways Cafe a few years back.


Blueberry Almond Scone
Dry Ingredients & Cold Butter
2.5 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cups of Sugar
1 tablespoon of Baking Powder
1 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 cups of cold Unsalted Butter cut in dice size pieces
Wet Ingredients
1 cup of Buttermilk
1 Egg
1 teaspoon of Almond Extract
Other Ingredients
1.5 cups of Blueberries (I like to use frozen berries for scones because it doesn't burst and bleed during the forming stages.)
1 cups of Almonds (I used sliced but you can use chopped or slivered.)
Turbinado Sugar for sprinkling before baking


-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Measure and mix all the dry ingredients, then add cold butter and mix on low until a crumbly mixture.  If you don't have stand mixer, you can use a pastry cutter or use your hands to blend the butter into the dry mixture until crumbly.  Using a wooden spoon or your hands, add the blueberries and almonds, then toss until the crumbly ingredients are mixed with the fruit and nuts. I like to use hands to again, the berries aren't crushed.   It will be a dampish dry mixture.
-Measure and mix the buttermilk, egg, and almond extract.  
-Slowly start pouring a small amount of wet mixture into the dry mixture and just toss and mix with your hands until all the wet mixture is all into the dry mixture.   I say toss because you are trying to balance the wet mixture into the dry mixture evenly.
-Pour the mixture into a lightly floured surface. Using a scraper or your hands, gather the mixture to form a mound about 2 inches think and oval in shape.  Lightly press the sides toward the center until you have a somewhat firmed dough.  Cut into triangles and put on a sheet pan lined with parchment.  
-Brush the scones with a egg wash or some leftover buttermilk.  Sprinkle some turbinado sugar and a little salt (the sweet salty combo is great).
-Bake for about 30 minutes until nicely golden brown.  


Sunday, I also made the Zucchini Bread for my mom.  She has been asking for some for a while now.  This recipe is from the Tartine Bakery cookbook.  This was the first time I used this recipe thus didn't change much. I only substituted olive oil instead of the vegetable oil they listed.  I also doubled the recipe and didn't sprinkle with sugar.


Dry Ingredients
1 3/4 + 2 tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon of Baking Powder
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
Wet Ingredients
 2 Eggs
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
3/4 cup of Sugar
1/2 cup of Orange Marmalade
Other
2 1/2 cups of Zucchini grated
1 cup of Walnut chopped and lightly toasted
Sugar for topping
-Preheat oven to 350
-Measure and mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  Now, a lot of recipes call for shifting the dry ingredients, especially for cakes, but I usually just dump it all in a bowl an use a wire wisk to mix it up and fluff it up.  Works for me and much easier.




-Measure and mix all the wet ingredients in a separate larger bowl.


Add zucchini and walnuts to the wet mixture.


-Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture until combined.  Don't over mix or bread will toughen.
-Put into a butter and floured pan or some sprayed pan.
-Bake for about 1 hour until clean tooth pick comes out.










Monday, I made some Peach Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies for my friend Heather who is moving to NYC.  I kept promising her cookies but our timing was never right so tried a new recipe for her.   I see a lot of dried fruit in oatmeal cookies but not combined with chocolate chips.  I love a little fruit with all my desserts. I think it offset the heavy sugar and butter, even if dried fruit.  I like the idea of peaches and cream, so I used dried peaches and white chocolate but also wanted the taste of dark chocolate.  This recipe might seem a bit too much and I should had some restraint but I wanted to put some kind of nuts into so I used almond but now I think about, I think it might be even better with pecans. 


Dry Ingredients
2 1/2 cups of Whole Wheat Flour (For "meaty" cookies, I use wheat flour than all purpose, I just thinks it adds a nice heartiness to the cookie.)
1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon of Salt, more for topping after baking
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup of Butter (room temperature)
3/4 cups of Sugar
3/4 cups of Brown Sugar (packed)
2 Eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon of Vanilla
Other Ingredients
1 cup of dried Peaches chopped
1 cup of White Chocolate Chips
1 cup of Dark Chocolate Chips
1 cup of nuts (Almond or Pecans)
-Preheat oven to 350
-Measure and mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.


-Measure and mix the butter and sugars until very light and fluff, preferably in a stand mixer or hand mixer.  Add eggs and vanilla and blend/mix again.


-Add dry mixture into the wet mixture until well combined, again with stand or hand mixer.
-Add other ingredients, one at a time to the mixture and hand mix until combined. 


-Spoon a little bigger than a golf size of the mixture onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.  Put into the freezer until cold, about 5 min.


-Bake 13 minutes and golden brown.




This is a long entry and it was a long weekend. Hope you enjoyed the entry as much as I did.  A happy weekend in that I got to do so much of what I love to do.  Now I've got to balance with some more running this week to off set all the eating I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...