Saturday, February 12, 2011

ad hoc

Another place I got to try was my idol's place's ad hoc in Yountville.  This is the latest restaurant by Thomas Keller.  I tried to get a reservation at French Laundry but no chance.  I even called 2 months in advance.   

http://www.adhocrestaurant.com/ 

I love ad hoc.  It was better than I ever expected. The story of ad hoc is that  Thomas Keller wanted to do a burger place and when he found a space in Yountville that opened up, he secured it.  However, he didn't have time to work on the restaurant so he and his staff would do these one time dinners for the public.  It was 4 courses, $50, one menu, all served family style...vwahla...ad hoc.  It was such a success that he opened the place as a permanent restaurant, and a burger place would have to wait.  ad hoc is also about comfort food that he grew up with and one of his favorite meal is fried chicken so every Monday night is fried chicken night, otherwise the menu changes every night.

I went on a Saturday night and it was about the pork.  They also have a vegetarian entree option.  The other courses were all veggie friendly.  Here is what we had.

First Course was a citrus salad with fennel, and honey gastric.  It was light, tart, and sweet.


Second Course was the entree and sides.  Pork porterhouse was the main entree that Sue had. I had the veggie lasagna.  It was a deconstructed lasagna with greens and white sauce.  Our sides were butternut squash risotto and roasted greens with hazelnut.  I didn't even the need the lasagna. I loved the sides.  You also have the option to add a fish dish to this course and we did. It was a beautiful halibut with a light preparation that I can't remember exactly what it was.  We had so much food we didn't need it but wanted to try it all.


Third Course is the cheese course.  This was a sheep's milk cheese with olive tapanade, roasted tomato, and his famous croutons.  Thomas Keller is all about hand torn croutons.  It was a great dish with many accompanying flavors to highlight the cheese.

Fourth Course...my favorite was the dessert.  On this day was the pecan bar with caramel sauce.  This course I know so well and....it was okay.  Didn't know my socks off.  It was a traditional pecan bar but I think the prepared ahead of time didn't make it as fresh.  I also needed a little fruit to cut the richness.  Caramel was great but it was too heavy to the already heavy pecan bar.  A little banana or apple slices would have been a nice touch.


It was still an amazing dinner with all those courses.   We loved it!   Can't wait to go again.  


All of Thomas Keller's restaurant are in Yountville.  Bouchon looked like a little piece of Paris in CA, the Bouchon Bakery was right next door, and French Laundry is close by.  Those will be saved for another visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...