Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Peach Frangipane Tart

It was my friend Carolyn's birthday celebration this weekend!  I asked her if I could bake her a cake and she said she would prefer a peach pie because it was her favorite.  She was also adamant on no gifts so I stole one of her ideas of what she did for me on a past birthday...


First, let's talk about the tart.  So...I wanted to make it a bit more special then just the pie and I've tasted a really great frangipane tart with apricot so thought peaches would work well. Well, I didn't love this tart and the reason is that the peach flavor can't stand up to the creaminess of the almond frangipane.  


What is frangipane you ask?  It's an almond based filling usually made with eggs, sugar, butter, and ground almonds.  You usually see it in tarts, croissant, and other desserts.


Carolyn and party attendees said the tart was good but I am my worst critic and I didn't love this tart.  Again, the peaches kinda blended with the filling and the flavor was one note, where as with apricot, the flavors compliment since the frangipane balances the tartness of the apricots.  So I will have to remake it for Carolyn.


Now for the birthday gift story...one of the best birthday gifts that I received was from Carolyn a couple of year ago.  It was a vegetarian pot pie in a sweet white pie pan.  Carolyn makes one of the best veggie pot pies I've tasted and she gave me this pie along with the pie pan.  I thought what a great idea! The gift of food but also paired with the kitchen dish.  I loved it!  So this was perfect for her birthday since she said no gifts but yes to the peach tart.  


I also made a glaze for this by mixing the peach juices, cinnamon, and powder sugar.  


I'll need to give it a go again and treat her to a new version of this tart.  It's coming Carolyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...