Monday, April 23, 2012

Salad Nicoise

I used to be a pure vegetarian up until about five years ago. I started taking fish oil about six years ago and about a year in, I craved a little fish.  So I ate it and it was okay.  It didn't gross me out too much.  Now, I eat it for health benefits and protein.  One of my go to salad is the salad Nicoise.  


This is a composed French salad that typically has tuna, boiled eggs, green beans, tomatoes, boiled potatoes, onions, and served with a vinaigrette dressing.


I made my own version for a wine night at Joan's.  


You know I love my potatoes and I roasted them with onions rather than boiling them.  I also dressed the tomatoes with a reduced balsamic vinegar because I love the flavors of that combo.  I added my favorite lemon stuffed olives from the Spanish Table, added some fresh cucumber slices, and dressed the whole salad with a lovely grassy olive oil that I picked up from St. Helena Olive Oil co.  


The only thing I'm not happy about the final salad is the tuna. Originally, I wanted to pick up some fresh tuna and sear it then slice it.  I didn't have enough time.  Soung is also a pure veggie, so I wanted to add the tuna last minute. I had to transport it and so I just took one of my tuna packs.  Bad idea...not so pretty on the plate and I should have put tossed it a bit.  It would have also been nice to add some fresh herbs.  Woulda, shoulda, coulda....


It was fresh, delicious, easy, and makes great potluck food.


Here is a picture before I transported it, and without the ugly tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...