Saturday, June 2, 2012

Lavender Shortbread

I've done lavender right...I think?




I've never been a fan of adding lavender to foods.  Most of the time, it tastes like soap to me.  I love the smell and the flower but not in food.  Strangely, I think men like the flavors better than women.  I've had more guys say they like lavender and honey ice cream.  


Well, on a past trip to Napa, I picked up a bunch of great things from the lovely store of St. Helena Olive Oil Co.  They specialize in olive oils but they have so much more.  A lot of lavender bath products and one of the items were dried lavender in these little jars. 


When I brought it home, I realized it was for food and not for baths. I mean you can use it for aromatics but it's purpose was for flavoring, so I was thinking how can I best use this for the scent, flavor, but not over powering like soap.


So I made shortbread.  I chopped the small buds and blended it with sugar, then coated the basic shortbread and baked.  It was nice.  Very light lavender flavor and no sign of soap.  It's a nice accent to basic buttery shortbread.


I'm giving these to some friends that I'm meeting for brunch tomorrow, will get their opinion.


It's quite lovely...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...