Sunday, June 10, 2012

Olive Oil Zucchini Bread

My mom loves Zucchini Bread.  I would bake her banana bread and she would say, but I want Zucchini bread.  Even my friend's little boy Bennie was like my favorite is Zucchini bread.  Whaaat?  A 4 year old prefers zucchini rather than banana? Yup!


So, I've been testing a few recipes and I think I've come up with one I like.  I realize with zucchini bread, the simpler the better for my taste.  The cake has to be very moist and soft, not too sweet, but with good spice flavors.  I've tried various versions, ones made with marmalade, pineapple, raisins, but I like to keep it simple.  The oil base makes really nice and moist and using olive oil vs. just vegetable oil also adds a nice fruity, nutty, and grassy flavor.
Here is this simple version.
3 Eggs
1 3/4 C Sugar
1 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
3 C Grated Zucchini
3 Cups Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
3 Tsp Cinnamon
1 C Chopped Walnut
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Spray 2 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray oil
-Whip eggs and sugar until light and frothy, about 4 min in a stand mixer
-Add olive oil and vanilla and mix well
-Add grated zucchini until combined
-In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon
-Add all of the dry mixture to the egg mixture and mix until the dry is just combined with the wet.  Make sure to not over mix.
-Stir in the chopped walnuts.
-Transfer the batter evenly into the 2 pans
-Bake for 1 hour, test to make sure a tooth pick comes out clean
-Cool for 30 min to 1 hour


Slice them up and eat with salty butter while its warm or wrapped in plastic and give away to friends. Mom got some this weekend and Bennie/Carolyn will get theirs later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...