Friday, August 6, 2010

Besalu Bakery

After my disappointment with Tartine Bakery's croissant, I needed to do a sanity check and make sure my love of Besalu's croissants were in fact genuine.  It had been awhile since I've had their pastries, so this morning I went before going to work.


I pick up 3 pastries...the plain croissant, chocolate croissant, and my favorite the onion gruyere croissant.  I didn't eat all 3 at once.  :)   Yep and it didn't disappoint but confirmed my love of their pastries.  They do have the best croissant in my eye.  I will keep confirming this as I visit other bakeries and cities and countries.




I feel very luck to have Besalu in my neighborhood of Ballard.  James Miller and his wife Kaire are the owners.  James is the baker and amazing. He is so nice and low key.  The lines are long, around the block, especially during the weekend.  Their pastries are baked around the clock so don't be surprised if you get a warm pastry.  They have quiches, scones, brioche, and many others.  They have great coffee too.  If you've not been there, my friends, please check it out.  Give me a call and I will go with you since they are in my neighborhood.  :)




5909 24th Ave NW
(between 59th St & 60th St)
SeattleWA 98107
(206) 789-1463
www.cafebesalu.com
The Plain...
The classic, so buttery without being too rich, right amount of salt, and most importantly does not feel too bready.  The outside layers are crispy, light crispy, that when you bite into it, you hear the little whispy crisp until you hit the soft warm layer.  The flavor and this texture is what makes Besalu's croissant stand out.  Perfect!




The Chocolate...
Perfect pastry with rich dark chocolate.  I've never gotten this room temperature.  Every time I've gotten it, the chocolate is soft and warm.  Mmmm...






The Onion & Gruyere....
I love to have this one with a Mocha.  The sweet and slightly tangy caramelized onion with the savory gruyere cheese is amazing.





2 comments:

  1. inspired by your post I got my behind out of bed early this saturday and ran over to Besalu to pick up some breakfast items: plain croissant, ham and cheese, cheese and onion and strawberry. All were delicious! but now i'm trying not to think that I probably ate an equivalent of a stick of butter for breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I forgot to give you the croissant that day...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...