Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner

Each Thanksgiving and also for Christmas dinner, my siblings and I go to my parent's house.  My mom usually makes the Turkey or a Ham as main entree, and my bro, sis and I make all the sides, appetizers, and dessert.  


My contribution to the Thanksgiving dinner this year was appetizers of Chicken and Tofu skewers with Miso glaze, Mashed Potatoes, Pecan/Cranberry Pie, and Thanksgiving Green Velvet cake (more on this later), and some roasted garlic for the rolls.


Chicken and Tofu Skewers with Lemon Miso Glaze
I usually make a brie, mushroom, puff pastry baked appetizer, and a spinach dip, but this year since my sister was vegan and I had some frozen chicken to use up, I made these for appetizers.  People always love eating meat on a stick so you can't go wrong. Plus our friends Mike and Bia joined us for dinner this year and Mike loves anything lemon so this was good.




Mashed Potatoes
I didn't take a picture of this but it was sooo good when I first made it. I added buttermilk and cream cheese to freshly boiled mashed potatoes, along with a stick of butter and salt.


Roasted Garlic
This is so good on hot rolls out of the oven, spread on top of butter.  Just tossed some peeled garlic cloves drizzled with olive oil and salt, then bake in oven until golden.






Pecan Cranberry Pie
I make this dessert each year because I LOVE this pie.  I add 1 cup of fresh cranberries because the tartness really cuts the richness of the sweet heavy pie.  I also love the jewel colors of cranberries which always brings a festive mood.  I also added some orange zest and orange extract because I love the orange and cranberry combo.


3 Eggs
1 cup of corn syrup
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
1/2 cup of sugar
3 tbs of butter melted
1/2 tsp of vanilla
2 tsp of orange extract or fresh squeezed juice
2 cups of pecan halves
1 cup of fresh cranberries
Zest of 1 orange
1 Unbaked of your favorite pie crust or use store bought


There is really no dry mix here, all contribute to wet mix.  
Mix eggs, corn syrup, both sugars, butter, vanilla, and orange extract.  
Stir in pecans, then cranberries, and then orange zest.


Roll out your pie crust into a pie pan and shape your edges.  
Pour the wet mixture into the pie crust.
Cover the pie edge with foil so your outer crust don't over bake.
Put into a oven and bake for 40 min.  
Remove the foil and bake for 10 more min.
Cool for 1 hour.  Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.


Thanksgiving Green Velvet Cake
I made a second dessert of a cake.  It was green because I ran out of red food coloring.  A good friend of mine drove 50 miles to get me the Urth Cafe's Hazelnut Chocolate cake last weekend while she is on a trip to LA.  I wanted to give her something nice so I made a Red Velvet Cake for her Thanksgiving dessert.  I wanted to make an extra cake but only had yellow, blue, and green food colors left so I made a green one.  It's not that pretty but fun.


Our family dinner has some traditions that won't change such as the pecan pie.  We also always have what we call the white trash jello salad mixed with Cool whip, we also always have 2 kinds of stuffing, the traditional bread kind, but also my mom makes a rice stuffing that fills up the turkey and is baked.  Soung is vegan so she made a green salad and some risotto rice cakes.    All were green so my cake fitted right in.  :)


Thanksgiving dinner is so much easier when you split up the dishes.  Focusing on a few dishes for the day is easy on the clean up and you don't cook all day. 


Hope you all had a great celebration and eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...