Wednesday, November 10, 2010

WD-50

Tonight was suppose to be the dinner at the creme de la creme...WD-50.  Wylie Dufresne restaurant in NYC.
50 Clinton Street
New York, NY 10002


I have been waiting and eager to try this place for sometime.   I am a huge fan of Wylie Dufresne, for his passion, technique, vision, and his love-play for food. 


Well...I don't know.  The food didn't blow me or Soung away.  It was good, fun, and an experience, but I think I was expecting too much.  It seems this way with these uber chef's places.  David Chang's place was a disappoint and this wasn't but, i don't think I need to go back.


Soung and I both forgot our cameras, and both our phones were weak on batteries to take pics.  This is what happens when you book a 10pm dinner and take a little nap break before hand.  Luckily, his website has some pics of the dinner and discriptions so I pulled the pics that I could from his site here.  Here is what we had.


For starters...
Eggs Benedict
This is what Soung had.  It was a deconstructed.  The play is that the egg yolks are a solid.  The cream sauce was encapsuled into the breaded cubes.  Soung had the florentine version since she didn't eat ham.  It was a spinach chip.  She said it tasted best when she ate it with all the components in one bite.  It tasted like the breakfast food.  It was important for her to try this because she heard Wylie's favorite food was breakfast and this is what he would eat as his last meal.




Cheese and Broccoli Soup with Pickled Onions  
This was just a bowl of cream soup, with small blanched broccoli pieces, pickled read onion, and a cheese twill. 




Main...
Parsnip Tart
Soung had this and it had some smoked quinoa, hazelnuts, steamed bok choy, on a parnip pureed glee, fried parsnip chips, and flat cracker.  Again, all deconstructed.  Tasted a bit bland and the fried parsnip felt like it had been sitting around for a bit.


Arctic Char with Snow Pea, Fried Yucca, Cherry-Black Bean Sauce
This is what I had and it was pretty good.  Fish cooked perfectly and the sauce was very savory and flavorful.  I didn't care for the fried skin,  Again, felt it was fried a head of time and sat too long.  The fried yucca tasted a lot like tater tots.  Not kidding.




Dessert...
Hazelnut Tart with Coconut, Chocolate, Chicory
This was by far my favorite.  It was actually a coconut cream tart with a layer of nutella chocolate layer.  The hazelnut was nicely toasted and salted, but I could do without the foam.  I don't one person who likes the foam unless it's on a latte or cappuchino, not on dinner.  It didn't add anything to the dessert. 


All in all, not bad but not tremendous.  What I did like was that the chef was there in the kitchen being the executive and checking each plate before it left the kitchen.  If I didn't forget my camera, I would have prob asked to take a picture with him. I have no shame.  I still love him and admire him very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...