Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Love of...Walrus and Carpenter

I've had a love affair with Walrus and Carpenter and still do.  It's by far my favorite restaurant to date and it's the way I LOVE to eat.  I'm surprised I've not wrote about it yet.  Well, I guess I've not been at a place mentally to write about all my loves last year.  

It started with a happy hour in the winter of 2010, then I started going there at least once a month, taking new and old friends.  Any excuse to go, I was there. They are located in my neighborhood of Ballard, so it really was the place I've revisited the most in 2011.

It's an oyster bar but I've never eaten oysters.  It's all about small plates of food and amazing drinks. It's about sharing with your diners.  What I love about this place is that they really pay attention to the details.  The small details that make the dish.  Food is always consistent, high quality, and delicious!  It's whimsical and has personality.  The wait staff is so nice and attentive, and you can tell they love working there.  

Well, since I've been going there from the beginning, it's been tough to get a table.  You either get there right when they open or put your name in and get a drink at the bike shop.   Then, Frank Bruni of NY Times had to write up this raves about the place. Then, they are named best new restaurants in America by Bon Appetite magazine.  There have been other raves and I wish people would stop.  :)  I want my neighborhood spot back that I can get a table reasonably...

Here are some of the amazing dishes...


Cheese with Pickled Prunes


Cheese & Curried Apricot


Ramps with Fried Egg


Fried Oysters


Smoked Trout
Another favorite that I get every time.  You have to eat it with  all 3 parts, the fish, the pickled onion, the lentil and walnut salad.  It just balances itself.  Yum!


Steak Tartare


Grilled Asparagus


Clam Tartare


Oh my god...and their desserts...amazing!


Sticky Toffee Pudding
The best I've had by far.  I even had this dish in London and W&C version is to dream about!


Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries


The one pic that I don't have and wish I had is the Fried Brussels Sprouts.  It's another favorite but they only have it seasonally. It's like eating French Fries.  It's sooo good.  They have it now...go there my friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...