Monday, December 27, 2010

Homemade Caramel Sauce

After shopping, Sue and I came back to my place where I had to make a Red Velvet Cake for a friend for lunch tomorrow.  That's another posting.


I had told Sue that I love making Caramel sauce and promised her some before she starts eating healthy with the new year.  :) 


It's really one of those favorite things to make. I also love the reaction I get from people when they taste this sauce, especially when they've only tried store bought caramel sauce. It's simply the easiest and best thing on earth.  Mine are just white sugar, heavy cream and salt.   I make it a bit salty for the salty sweet flavors. But I cook the sugar until a rich amber and then layer the cream favors.


2 cups of white Sugar
2 cups of Heavy Cream (room temperature)
1/4 cups of Heavy Cream
1 to 2 tsp of Kosher or Sea Salt (based on taste)


-Cook sugar in a pan over medium heat until melted and color equal amber.  It will be a good 15-20 min.  Keep stirring.
-Add room temperature heavy cream.  This is important because the colder the cream, the harder the sugar will be.  When you add the cream, it will boil violently and the sugar will harden and the cream will liquefy more, but just keep stirring until all is dissolved and the mixture thickens slightly like pouring oil.  It will thicken as it cools.
-Add salt.  1 tsp at a time until desired saltiness.
-When cooled to room temperature, add the additional cream and stir.  This step really adds the additional layer of flavor and creaminess to the caramel sauce.


Try it over vanilla ice cream with toasted pecans and banana slices.  I love to dip fresh apple slices, the possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...